The Dante Alighieri Society is offering Italian Speakers (mother tongue, or fluent) the opportunity to work as an Italian Language Assistant in Canberra schools starting in February 2021. Excellent conditions and pay rates will be negotiated with suitably qualified candidates.
Register your Expression of Interest NOW
by email email@example.com or phone 0405365682
Expression of Interest for position of Italian Language Assistant in Canberra 2021
The Dante Alighieri Society of Canberra is planning the introduction of Italian Language assistants in support of Italian language programs in Canberra schools.
This is a new initiative of the Dante Alighieri Society of Canberra that seeks to:
- Enrich Italian language programs of participating schools through the employment of qualified mother-tongue or fluent Italian speakers (certified competency of at least level C1 QCER) as language assistants in support of classroom teachers.
- Provide teachers and students with opportunities to increase their knowledge and understanding of Italy, its language and culture.
- Extend DAS Canberra’s ongoing activities for the promotion of language learning and intercultural understanding to the ACT school sector.
Mother tongue Italian Speakers
- Must have completed a minimum of two years tertiary studies in Italy (preferably completed requirements for a degree)
- Demonstrated English language proficiency with minimum IELTS score of 6
- Must be a permanent resident in Australia or hold a current Australian work visa with an expiry date beyond 31 December 2021.
Other Italian Speakers
- Have completed a university degree including at least a major in Italian
- Be fluent Italian speakers with a demonstrated competency of at least level C1 QCER. If not a native English speaker, Demonstrated English language proficiency with minimum IELTS score of 6
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of contemporary Italian culture and traditions (a demonstrated substantial period of prior residency in Italy would be an advantage)
- Must be a resident in the Canberra region or willing to transfer their residency to the Canberra Region
- Appointees will be required to provide a current ACT Working with Vulnerable People card prior to commencing employment.
Aptitude and experience
- Demonstrated interest and experience in the teaching of languages, preferably within a school setting
- Ability to work as part of a team
Applications will undergo a preliminary assessment by a selection committee established by DAS Canberra for the purpose of determining and compiling a short list of suitable candidates who will be invited to attend a personal interview with the selection committee. The interview will be conducted partly in both English and Italian.
Up to eight positions are likely to be available
Successful candidates will be notified by the DAS Canberra Selection Committee and will be provided with details of a preparatory online course in Italian language teaching practices. The course will be conducted in Italian by the Società Dante Alighieri (Rome). Appointment to a position of Italian Language Assistant will be subject to successful completion of the preparatory course.
Appointments to the position of Language assistant will be made on the basis of personal service contracts for each of the four terms of the ACT school calendar. An appropriate pay rate will be negotiated with successful candidates.
Applications close on 18 December 2020
Contact for enquiries, email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Tel: 0405365682…………………
ITALIAN LANGUAGE ASSISTANTS: Duty Statement
Language Assistants work alongside classroom teachers as part of a cooperative team and, by adding a contemporary cultural dimension to a school’s Italian program, will enhance language acquisition opportunities for both students and teachers.
The assistant is not responsible for the Italian program or for the running of Italian classes, but assists the responsible teacher in the planning, preparation and delivery of the school’s Italian program.
A Language Assistant:
1) Work as a member of a team headed by a qualified teacher to support children’s engagement and success in the learning of Italian as a second language.
2) Support the acquisition of essential contextual knowledge and skills and the development of conceptual understanding of Italian.
3) Support and assist a teacher of Italian as required and directed in the preparation and presentation of the school’s Italian program.
4) Assists teachers of Italian and co-ordinators with the development and preparation of lessons (e.g. questions, speaking and listening activities, comprehension passages, games, work sheets, audio-visual materials or other materials) which may require the expertise of a native speaker.
5) Participate in whole class activities under the supervision of a qualified teacher but must never assume sole responsibility for the students.
6) Verify language usage in the spoken and written form, provide information regarding current idiom and provide a model for correct pronunciation, accent and stress.
7) Participate in group work with students to develop their confidence and fluency in the target language. The Language Assistant may provide direct aid to the development of correct spoken and written communication in the language through a variety of methods.
8) Provide opportunities for teachers and students to practice conversation with a native speaker, and supply contextual information about Italian society and culture as appropriate.
9) Participate in activities to promote the target language in the school. The Language Assistant may be involved in professional development seminars for teachers of Italian.